Important Dates (subject to change)
|REQUIRED Pre-Application Deadline||October 2, 2023 by 5:00pm|
|Invitations for Full Applications and Pre-Application Feedback||Mid November 2023|
|Full Application Deadline (selected applicants)||February 22, 2024 by 5:00pm|
|Invitations for Interviews (selected applicants)||Early to mid-May 2024|
|Selected Candidate Interviews||Mid to late May 2024|
|Award Notifications||Late May to early June 2024|
|Grant Start Date||July 1, 2024|
The UCLA CTSI KL2 Translational Science Award supports highly qualified junior faculty from one of the four partnered institutions (UCLA, Cedars-Sinai, Charles R. Drew University, and Lundquist Institute at Harbor-UCLA) to conduct mentored, interdisciplinary and translational research. The program is specifically designed to meet an important goal of the UCLA CTSI: To provide the next generation of clinicians and researchers with the training they need to conduct research across engineering, physics and other disciplines to improve health.
The UCLA CTSI encourages junior faculty from diverse backgrounds and life experiences to apply for the KL2 program. Scientists and trainees from these backgrounds bring different perspectives, creativity, and individual expertise to address complex scientific problems. There are many benefits that flow from a diverse scientific workforce, including: fostering scientific innovation, enhancing global competitiveness, contributing to robust learning environments, improving the quality of the research, advancing the likelihood that underserved or health disparity populations participate in, and benefit from health research, and enhancing public trust.
UCLA CTSI KL2 Scholars will receive up to 3 years of funding or until receipt of an individual NIH K award (or equivalent grant from the Veterans Administration or foundation), whichever comes first. Continued KL2 support in years 2 (2025-26) and 3 (2026-27) will be contingent on the scholar’s performance during the prior year(s). The following table lists the maximum allowable amounts per year.
|Scholar Salary (75% effort)||$75,000|
| Scholar Fringe Benefits
Research Expenses (UCLA applicants must include TIF)
Tuition/Career Development (excludes scientific memberships)
|Travel for scientific conferences||$2,000|
|MAXIMUM DIRECT COSTS/YEAR||$130,000|
The pre-application is required with a deadline of October 2, 2023. This pre-application is comprised of a 2-page application (plus candidate’s biosketch, mentor’s letter and biosketch), which will be reviewed by the KL2 Selection Committee. Only a portion of pre-applications will be asked to submit a full application, which will be due February 22, 2024.
• Possess a doctoral-level degree (e.g., MD, PhD, DDS, PharmD)
• Have a full-time junior faculty appointment at one of the four UCLA CTSI partnered institutions (UCLA, Cedars-Sinai, Charles R. Drew University, and Lundquist Institute at Harbor-UCLA) in any series at or above the clinical instructor level as of July 1, 2024.
• U.S. citizen, non-citizen national or permanent resident by July 1, 2024. Individuals on temporary or student visas are not eligible.
• Commit 75% of professional effort (9 calendar months) to the KL2 program. Those in surgical specialties may request a lower level of effort, but in no case lower than 50%, with the level of CTSI KL2 salary support being reduced proportionately. To request a lower level of effort, please contact CTSIWD@mednet.ucla.edu by the full application deadline so a formal request can be submitted to the NIH.
• Not be or have been a principal investigator on an NIH R01, or project leader on a subproject of a Program Project (P01), Center (P50, P60, U54), mentored career development grant (K23, K08, K01, etc.), or equivalent non-PHS peer reviewed research grant that is over $100,000 in direct costs per year. May have had support on a non-federal grant, a NRSA grant (F or T) or have been PI of an NIH small grant (R03 or R21). Note: Candidates may have had previous support on a K12 award, but the CTSI KL2 cannot extend total K support beyond five years.
• Simultaneous KL2 and NIH K (e.g. K01, K08, K23, etc.) applications are not allowable. Everyone is encouraged to submit a KL2 pre-application. However, if you submit an NIH K application in January, February or March 2024, you are not eligible to submit a KL2 full application.
• Deadline: October 2, 2023 by 5:00 PM
• Submission link: https://bit.ly/KL2pre-app2024
• Pre-Application is REQUIRED and selected applicants will be invited to submit full applications.
• Mid November 2023: Applicants will receive general feedback on the pre-applications and decisions on whether to proceed with the full application.
• Pre-Application required components include:
1. NIH-formatted Biosketch (NOT-OD-21-073) of CTSI KL2 candidate
• Personal Statement must include the justification for the need of training
2. NIH-formatted Biosketch (NOT-OD-21-073) of the primary mentor
3. Primary Mentor’s Letter of Support (1 page maximum)
4. Specific Aims of the Proposed Project and Relevant Preliminary Data (1½ page maximum)
5. Candidate’s Statement (½ page maximum): Describe your previous research experience and training goals for the KL2.
• Deadline: February 22, 2024 by 5:00 PM
• Submission link will only be provided to the applicants who are invited to submit full applications.
• Please follow application instructions available at https://www.ctsi.ucla.edu/education/pages/kprogram and see “Application Checklist and Instructions.”
• Full Application components include:
1. NIH-formatted Biosketch (NOT-OD-21-073) of the CTSI KL2 candidate
2. NIH-formatted Other Support Pages of the CTSI KL2 candidate
3. Project Summary/Abstract (30 lines of text maximum)
4. Specific Aims (1 page maximum)
5. Program Plan (12 pages maximum)
6. Authentication of Key Biological and/or Chemical Resources (1 page maximum)
7. Protection of Human Subjects (required for research involving human subjects)
8. Inclusion of Women, Minorities, and Inclusion Across the Lifespan (required for research involving human subjects)
9. PHS Inclusion Enrollment Report (required for research involving human subjects)
10. Data and Safety Monitoring Plan (required for research involving human subjects)
11. Vertebrate Animals (when applicable)
12. Training in the Responsible Conduct of Research (1 page maximum)
13. Letters of Support from Mentoring Team (6 pages maximum)
14. Institutional Letter of Support (2 pages maximum)
15. Mentoring Team NIH-formatted Biosketches (NOT-OD-21-073)
16. NIH-formatted Detailed Budget (Form Page 4) and Budget Justification
17. Bibliography & References Cited
18. Letters of Support for use of equipment, data, specimens, and community resources (when applicable). Other letters of support submitted under this field will be removed during the administrative review process.
Selected candidates will be invited for an interview with the KL2 Selection Committee during mid-late May 2024 (exact date, time and location are TBD). Candidates will be notified in early-mid May 2024 if selected for an interview.
Questions??? Contact Lisa Chan at CTSIWD@mednet.ucla.edu.